Since I have never used the IBird or Bird Jam software on my Ipod I
really don't know the depth of these products.   My impression is that
they are really great tools.  I have the Stoakes CDs on my Ipod.  I have
taken all the tracks and have edited them to remove the intro with CD
Wave, it is really easy to do but a very time consuming process (a good
winter project).  I also have a complete photo library of every North
American bird species (of course I downloaded most of these and don't
have permission to share them).  I really have never used the photo
library in the field but I do use the other recordings through a game
call speaker.  I think that the best feature of this system is that I am
able to create a playlists of bird vocalizations and select shuffle for
this playlist so that I can use it as a study tool to learn and practice
vocal identification.  It has been a wonderful learning device.  Like I
say I have never used the marketed software packages and they may have
this same capability.

John Bollin
School of Biological Sciences
University of Missouri at Kansas City