Peregrines have been nesting at Barnes Hospital for a few years now.  About four years ago after the young had fledged, at least one adult decided to hang out on the side of the big Wash U stack just south of Forest Park Pkwy and right across from the office of Randy Korotev.  He alerted us via MOBIRDS and the Thursday group had wonderful scope views of the bird from the shelter of the parking garage just west of the stack.  I stopped by and saw it on several occasions and Randy had lots of students becoming raptor seekers and finders in addition to their normal studies.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County

--- On Thu, 10/29/09, Eliot Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Eliot Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Showdown at Wash U
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 3:48 AM

Hi all,

I saw something awesome today I wanted to share. While walking out with a
friend from a talk at the Wash U campus near Forest Park in St Louis, I
heard a Red-tailed call a few times overhead. Eventually it came into view,
very low. A pair of Peregrines were repeatedly stooping on it, and it had to
land on the building above us. Eventually the Peregrines flew on. The
pigeons were running wild. The Red-tailed shrieked a few more times and then
took off after the Peregrines. I saw no more of the interaction, but it was
pretty awesome. Do those Peregrines hang out all the time at Wash U?

Eliot Miller