Last night there was an American Coot on a department
store parking lot here in Joplin at about 9 PM.  It was hiking around pretty good too.  After I parked I couldn't locate it.  My plan was to take it to the nearby MSSU marsh if I could catch it.
Some say they can't get airborne when they are grounded like that.  Others say its not true.  I'm in the I don't know group.
Good birding, Larry H.  Joplin, Jasper County, MO.