Mobirders,

I have heard back from Lanny Chambers on Sarah's Gladstone hummingbird and this is what he says:

"The tail appears too long and the bill too short for a BCHU to me,
and the 10th primary doesn't look quite club-shaped enough. The wing-
tail relationship is really best judged when the wings aren't
drooping. Especially with young hummingbirds, color isn't as good a
field mark as we might hope--there's a lot of individual variation.

My guess is immature female RTHU. If I caught this bird at any time
of year, though, I would measure it to be sure of the species. I got
lucky once, but imagine all the Black-chins that must go unnoticed in
western Missouri."

Keep on looking those hummingbirds over!

Linda Williams
Liberty, MO