Dear Mobirders,

I saw three small white and black swimmers Saturday at Horseshoe Lake, IL that I cannot identify. They were viewed from the Route 203 side and were on the opposite side of the lake. They appear to be small and gull-like with long thin bills, rather like Avocets. The second picture includes a gull preening (probably a Ring-billed) which shows how small they are.

The pictures are poor but as good as I could do given the distance and wind. (Only two of the three birds are in these pictures.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Two swimmers:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomfuller2001/4049065429/

With the (Ring-billed) gull: