Each year, around this time, I notice that Starlings have replaced Chimney Swifts hawking for insects over my home and  other parts of Independence. Their swift-like behavior always makes me think at first that they are swifts. Then I see that they are larger and slower and realize that another annual milestone in the progression of autumn has been passed.

Tonight, the hawking birds were still Chimney Swifts. There was not a Starling to be seen. Perhaps the Starlings realize that they are overmatched by the swifts and wait until they are gone before taking their place. Soon, perhaps in only a few days, they will all be Starlings.

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO