I birded Prairie Home CA (Cooper & Moniteau counties) today.  The Asian lady beetles were swarming along Acre Rd.  I really dislike these things.  Unlike our native 2-spotted red Lady Bug, these things STINK and they go everywhere (they love the insides of houses in the winter).

Below is an excerpt from an article on the net.  It sounds toooooooo optimistic to me; another example of us messing with balance by bringing in an exotic so we can try to raise more monoculture stuff.

The birds were delightful today.  Added 2 Lincoln's Sparrows to the area checklist.  Two Brown Creepers were fun. But I saw no birds paying any attention to the bugs swarming.

The multicoloured Asian lady beetle is a promising biological control agent of several insect pests on a wide variety of ornamental and agricultural crops. Its large and even explosive populations are probably caused by the massive abundance of prey, mostly aphids and scale insects, the apparent lack of competition from native lady beetles and the apparent lack of native natural enemies. The multicoloured Asian lady beetle populations will become more balanced when its prey numbers decrease and it falls prey to native natural enemies.

Edge Wade

Columbia, MO