Early this morning four intrepid souls stood at Bradford Farm (the native grass stand in the southeast corner) to watch (hope for) the LeConte’s Sparrow to greet the sunrise.  We were not disappointed, however the sparrows chose about 45minutes  after sunrise to appear – perhaps the frost caused them to wait for real warmth before they came to the tops of the grasses.  We did see two, probably many more in the area, as we did not walk through the grasses.  Goldfinches were the first to arise, followed about 30 minutes later by the Savannah Sparrows, and then the LeConte’s.

Several years ago, Brad Jacobs told me the LeConte’s have a tendency to sit higher in the grasses at sunrise to catch the sun and the warmth, before they head down closer to the ground (and infinitely more difficult to spot).  As a result of that information, I make a point every year to follow this ritual during the middle weekend of October.

The brush pile on the north side held Song, Field, and imm. White-crowned.  There was a “murder” of crows – probably 50 or more using the area;  many, many Killdeer also.   R-1 Lake had nothing, and Phillips Lake only had 6 Pied-billed Grebes.

Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/