I'm beginning to think that I am the only one that thinks it is ironic
that the area is called the Heron Pond yet every management decision
since last October has been to reduce or eliminate the Herons, egrets
etc. If the Audubon Society prefers peeps over other species, I sure hope
that it is not considered a precedent in its interactions with other
species. The fact that almost all the other ponds are low and all the
water ditches are dry and overgrown with vegetation, the appearance of a
mud flat would make me think that the peeps that would concentrate on
that area. If the original system had been used to replenish the ponds
and the other mud areas, you may not have gotten "Disneyland for the
shore birds" in the Heron Pond.  Before the new intake, the RMBS water
levels were obtained by either seasonal rainfall or by opening the
original intake that would feed the dtich to the Pintail Pond. The series
of water control devices and ditches then would allow water to travel the
entire length of the system. The key points in the system would be the
intake and the last control. Since the Heron Pond is in the last portion
of the system, the exit control actually determines the water level. The
only time I can recall the entire system and all the ditches 'full' was
after the floods a few years ago. It has essentially been 'closed' since
then except for the period when the controlled burn was executed in the
Dragonfly Marsh and the ponds adjacent to the eastern part of the Two
Pecan Trail. To get the heavy machinery into the Heron  Pond to cut and
mulch the willows, you had to starve the system of water. The mudflat
that everyone is applauding could have been accomplished with or without
the willows being cut. This would have allowed the species that evidently
are less "valued" to have a "normal" summer. Pull the plug in August, the
water drains, you get mud and it would seem everyone would have been
happy. A fellow I run into at RMBS is a retired contractor and he would
certainly disagree with the project, especially when it comes to the
Kingfishers. He pointed out the the front end of the Heron Pond is the
lowest part of the area and adding water isn;t going to produce the
effect that you want. Consider that the water level that produced the
mudflat is optimum. The additon of a few inches of water from the rains
made the area less attractive to the peeps. Consider that the majority of
the area, even after the rains was "dry". Consider that it will require 4
to 5 feet to flood the area to eliminate the vegetation. (Wonder what
happens to all the critters that live on or feed on the vegetation are
going to do this spring.) That now means your optimum mudflat is under 4
to 5 feet of water. Any draw down only produces periphery mud. My retired
contractor friend asked the rhetorical question, "Doesn't anyone know how
to shoot a transit?" I don't know how may people have been to that
observation blind. I have and I walked to the edge of the mudflat from
both the front side and the back side of the pond. I'm visualizing that
ground I was standing on being 4 to 5 feet under water. If you are in the
observation blind-- you better have some hip boots because there will
probably be water in it.  In fact, that water level may produce a "lake".
I hope the new intake has good screening because if the big eye carp that
are in Ellis Bay get through it, you won't have to worry about the
vegetation but when you draw the water down, you might consider the stink
the fish carcasses are going to make when they don't have enough water to
survive and they die. Of course the turkey vultures will have a field
day. I'm not a hydrologist. You say this is a good plan but I've walked
nearly every one of those pond areas and looked at where those water
levels will be and I have my doubts. I hope I'm wrong but only time will
tell. respectfully