Wu Chang makes some valid points about the loss of some species around Heron Pond when the willows are cut back.   However, those of in the St. Louis Audubon Society who have been working with the biology staff at RMBS know that there are two overriding considerations that are guiding the work at Heron Pond.

(1) Left unchecked the willows will overrun a small shallow body of water such as Heron Pond.   We have seen this happen at Little Creve Couer Lake where there was marvelous shorebird habitat for few years,  but this habitat has been all but eliminated by the growth of willows into the shallow water.  Even the amount of open water is declining.  The willows have been cut back at Heron Pond a number of times within the last few years but new seeds come in and the willows return.

(2) There is an abundance of habitat throughout the greater St. Louis area for the species that Wu has seen depart Heron Pond when the willows were cut.   On the other hand, there is an incredible scarcity of reliable shorebird habitat in our area.   The changes that are taking place at Heron Pond are designed to allow for control of the water levels so that there should always be good shorebird habitat in Heron Pond during the migration seasons.   In addition to cutting the willows the following has been done: (a) The size of the basin for Heron Pond has been enlarged to about 3 times its current area.  This was done a couple of years ago but it is not obvious now due to the infusion of plants into the hollowed out area.  (b) A  controllable intake pipe for water has been constructed under Riverlands Way.    This will allow Heron Pond to be filled with water to kill off vegetation when shorebirds are not present and to enhance water levels within the pond when they are present.   (c) A controllable outlet system has been constructed on the downstream point of Heron Pond.   During migration this, along with the water intake system, should allow for control of water levels within an inch or so which means that mudflats can be maintained for a long time during non-rain periods.  (The sandy bottom beneath Heron Pond causes a quick loss of water without any water inflow.)  (d) A new trail around the expanded Heron Pond has been constructed and a viewing blind has been installed with another scheduled.

A good number of local birders have been working with the RMBS staff to establish reliable shorebird habitat at RMBS.  Paul Bauer has been leading this effort for nigh onto 16 yrs.    The only other location in St. Louis with reliable shorebird habitat was to have been Columbia Bottom.   Things looked good there the first year after the water pumps were installed, but the ongoing repairs to the pumping system have cast this project in doubt.

The dedication ceremony for the new Heron Pond and the water intake system will take place on Oct 25 at 2:00 pm.  The man of honor will be Paul Bauer.

John Solodar - St. Louis Audubon Society liaison to RMBS
8135 Cornell Ct
University City, MO 63130-3639

314-862-5294