I’ll take this in chronological order. Early today I had a hummingbird in the
Cannas.  I have hummingbird feeders up because I’ve read that by this time of
year a hummingbird in Missouri might well be a Rufous, and I’m hoping for a
Missouri Rufous.  It would have to be a male for me to be able to identify it.
This was no male, and judging from other MObirds reports, I feel comfortable
in calling it a female Ruby-throated.

A bit later I saw a number of Starlings circling in the air somewhat like
Chimney Swifts.  I recalled that just a few days ago someone noted on
MObirds that this happened after the swifts were gone.  Since I hadn’t seen
any swifts for a while, I decided once again that someone had taught me
something well worth knowing.

A bit later, I was in the yard with a ten year-old boy when he said, “what are
all those crows doing?”  There were many large birds above, but definitely not
crows.  My first thought was Common Nighthawks, but a second looked
dispelled that.  Even though this is not Hawk Mountain, PA. I’m almost positive
that I had a small kettle of Broad-winged Hawks above my yard. Unless
someone can prove me wrong, that’s what I’m calling them.  What are the
possibilities? I hope some else in the area who might know about such things
saw them.

Finally, late in the evening the sky was quite full of Chimney Swifts that
seemed to be feeding in the normal way. All in all, it was a good if somewhat
puzzling day to be in the yard.

Larry Olpin
Warrensburg, MO