Early this morning four intrepid souls stood at Bradford Farm (the native
grass stand in the southeast corner) to watch (hope for) the LeConte's
Sparrow to greet the sunrise.  We were not disappointed, however the
sparrows chose about 45minutes  after sunrise to appear - perhaps the frost
caused them to wait for real warmth before they came to the tops of the
grasses.  We did see two, probably many more in the area, as we did not walk
through the grasses.  Goldfinches were the first to arise, followed about 30
minutes later by the Savannah Sparrows, and then the LeConte's.

Several years ago, Brad Jacobs told me the LeConte's have a tendency to sit
higher in the grasses at sunrise to catch the sun and the warmth, before
they head down closer to the ground (and infinitely more difficult to spot).
As a result of that information, I make a point every year to follow this
ritual during the middle weekend of October.

The brush pile on the north side held Song, Field, and imm. White-crowned.
There was a "murder" of crows - probably 50 or more using the area;  many,
many Killdeer also.   R-1 Lake had nothing, and Phillips Lake only had 6
Pied-billed Grebes.

Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/