That spider is certainly more interesting and dramatic than a bit of
tinsel!

I like the idea of placing a nest box over the hole suggested by the
Birdwatcher's Digest item.  Does anyone have any experience that says
it might work?  Do you know what kind of woodpecker is trying to move
in?

  My only experience with the shiny tape was at an old  ranger
station on the East Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho where I
volunteered a couple of summers. The stuff was tacked to the eaves of
the cabin and there were no woodpeckers pecking while I was there,
but there were many many holes covered with tin can lids suggesting
former attacks.

June Newman
Carroll County