Hello All:
I've really enjoyed the chicken thread. Very little I could add except I was wondering if there are any "genetically pure" prarie chickens left in Missouri and what effect, if any, does this have on the long-term prognosis for this species in MO. As I understand it, the only genetically pure chickens possibly left in MO are at Cole Camp/Hi Lonesome Prarie, Prarie State Park and possibly Taberville Prarie. The remaining chickens are birds that were trapped in Kansas and released in MO. I think the Dunn Ranch chickens actually came from an ill-fated release in southern Iowa. I've heard that there aren't any chickens left at Hi-Lonesome Prarie, a biologist at Taberville told me earlier this year that there were 7 or 8 left at Taberville and Mr. Hebert says there are only 3 or 4 left at Prarie State Park.
Does a "genetically pure" MO prarie chicken have any advantages over chickens brought in from other areas?
Best,
Doug Willis
Liberty, MO