This morning while birding around the oxbow lakes south of Saint Joseph I saw fewer species of ducks than I expected, Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck and Ruddy Duck. However, on Lake Contrary, with one flotilla of shovelers was an Eared Grebe and with a group of Gadwall was a Horned Grebe.

Horseshoe Lake produced Greater Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper, Dunlin and Long-billed Dowitcher. Franklin's Gulls were on all the lakes for a total of ~200. There was a first year Ring-billed Gull on Lake Contrary.

Sparrows seen were: Vesper, Savannah and Song.

Larry Lade

Saint Joseph, MO

gcrownkinglet AT yahoo DOT com