Hi everyone

In honor of my new binoculars, I decided to make my first post to the list serve! Today I stopped by the bird garden at Tower Grove around 8am. For the most part, it was pretty typical of what other have been seeing:

Chickadees
Titmice
Winter Wren
Carolina Wren
Blue Jays
Cardinals
Red-bellied Woodpeckers
Blue-headed Vireo
Ovenbirds

However, potentially of interest was a bird that I believed to be a Black-throated Blue Warbler. I've only lived in St. Louis for a couple months so I'm not sure if this is unusual, but according to my field guide it is a little out of range. Here is the description I wrote down after I saw it:

"Small to medium sized songbird. Roughly the size of a sparrow or maybe a large warbler. Dark blue top, grading to black around face and flanks. White belly with a noticeable splotch of white on the wings. Found in brushy understory. Actively flitting from branch to branch."

What do you think?

Ben Solomon
St. Louis, MO
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/