Mick:Did you check the logs in Ellis Bay? http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/bilrudn/42009/10-11-09c-1.jpg

Bill [log in to unmask]

--- On Mon, 10/12/09, Peter Richardson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Peter Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Shorebird habitat at Heron Pond, RMBS, St Charles County being obliterated
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, October 12, 2009, 9:47 PM

I took an out-of-state birder to Heron Pond today to show him the shorebirds. Imagine my surprise to see an open sluice filling the area with water. The mud areas were already covered. Shorebirds are still coming through (they are still being seen in Chicago) but their habitat is being removed. RMBS needs a new sign:

RIVERLANDS MIGRATORY BIRD SANCTUARY (SHOREBIRDS NOT WELCOME).

I have lived in St. Louis for almost 20 years and I despair that shorebirds will ever be officially welcomed to this area.

And yes, this is written tongue-in-cheek but why is there no official respect for shorebirds. I had thought that the recent work at Heron Pond was to increase the habitat for shorebirds. How can it go so wrong so fast?

Mick Richardson, St.. Louis County