More on the subject of winter feeding of hummers, from Laura Erickson of Cornell Lab.

Susan Eaton
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO., MO

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Laura Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: Winter h'bird topic
To: Susan Eaton <[log in to unmask]>

You're welcome to add this to the discussion:

Lanny is absolutely correct that in only ONE case, of all the people feeding hummingbirds all over the place, has this "hypothermia" been reported. The problem has almost definitely been exaggerated, but I personally follow a "better safe than sorry" method. Most of my hummingbird feeders do not have perches anyway. When my late hummingbird appeared at my feeder, each night the temperature dropped below freezing, so I was setting out fresh, warmer sugar water each morning anyway.

With regard to protein--at the time my individual hummingbird was coming to my northern MInnesota feeder (in late November and early December), I consulted with a lot of experts trying to figure out the best thing to do, and heard as many suggestions as people I consulted. As long as temperatures were above 20 degrees or so, I could clearly observe the hummingbird feeding on insects in the tips of my spruce tree and lilac bush branches. I grew more concerned by Thanksgiving when the afternoon highs were only in the teens and the bird was spending virtually all its non-perching time at my feeder and I was having to change the feeders as they froze up every hour. That's when I started offering one feeder (out of many) with ground up mealworms. This was not a scientific experiment, and I have no way of knowing whether that was a good thing to do in reality rather than in my informed but just gut-feeling. The hummingbird did have many other feeders to choose from, but she chose, most of the time, to feed at the feeder with the mealworms. But again, this could have been extremely harmful if the temperature wasn't so cold--this or Nektar Plus would spoil very quickly in warmer temperatures, and mealworms in particular could harbor dangerous bacteria in their gut that would multiply rapidly in warmer conditions.

Because Nektar Plus does spoil extremely quickly, it is normally only used by rehabbers (I was a licensed rehabber, by the way) and must be changed every few HOURS.

Northern Minnesota is colder in November and December than Cape Girardeau, and most of the hummingbird people who advised me were pretty emphatic about providing protein if we could figure out a way.

Lanny is again absolutely right about how early hummingbird start their day. Mine made her first visits to my feeder each morning about a half hour before sunrise, while it was still twilight.

Best,

Laura