Jo, in Branson, and MObirders -

I enjoyed your note about the "100 or so" Chimney Swifts at the
hospital in Branson this evening.
We tend to think of them as being August and September migrants
possibly due to the CHSW watches in the middle of those months.
However there are plenty of CHSW,  in sw MO anyway, through mid
October!  There were a lot - 40 or 50 - overhead this evening here
in Joplin when Mark and I took his hound for a walk.

At noon today I went a few miles north of Joplin at a place I call
Oronogo Bottoms.  It is a lead and zinc mined area on Center Creek.
The water was real high and was literally "flushing" this ruined marsh
out.  There were 15 or 20 CHSW flying low over the cattails presumably
hawking for tiny insects.  I didn't see any swallows.

My latest date for CHSW is Oct. 30 here in Joplin.  I have no Nov. records.

Good birding,  Larry H.  Joplin, Jasper County, MO.  [log in to unmask]