As I read Mike’s posting on less than 100 Greater Prairie Chickens left in Missouri, it made me reflect on such a unique bird and that all who have witnessed their courtship displays cannot but feel a great sadness.  Mike Niles and I have been taking students to Dunn Ranch for the past few years but did not go last year due to such low numbers.

The posting also made me reflect on Aldo Leopold’s comments in A Sand County Almanac during the February section as he sawed through the “Good Oak” and recollected the events dating back to the civil war.  For anyone who has not read the book, here are the pertinent excerpts:

“1896, when 25,000 prairie chickens were shipped to market from the village of Spooner alone;”

“Oct. 27, 1879, six migrating prairie chickens perched on the rooftree of the German Methodist Church in Madison, and took a look at the growing city.”

“In 1876 came the wettest year on record; the rainfall piled up 50 inches.  Prairie Chickens declined, perhaps owing to hard rains.”

“In 1875 four hunters killed 153 prairie chickens at York Prairie, one county to the eastward.”

“In 1873 one Chicago firm received and marketed 25,000 prairie chickens.  The Chicago trade collectively bought 600,000 as $ 3.25 per dozen.”

Let’s all hope that this great species can eventually be re-established into some stable populations for the generations to come……

Terry L. Miller

Kearney HS

Clay Co., MO