Thank you so much Bryan.  I am so glad you posted this information.  I birded Creve Coeur Lake for the second time in my life this past Tuesday - with my mother, father and husband.  We went to the same place you suggested we go last time.  It gave us all the same great joy it's given you.

We were a little timid about going because the morning started out with quite a bit of rain.  It started to just mist at one point, so I suggested we all take a chance and go for it.  We were so lucky.  It  barely even misted the entire time we were there. We reveled in the lack of people present.  It felt like we had the place all to ourselves. It was overcast, but that seems to be a catch-22 for birding.  You can see colors more vividly in some ways, and yet less light is available.

We were overjoyed to see a magnificent female BELTED KINGFISHER, then the male accompanying her later.  We ran into a gorgeous PILIEATED WOODPECKER, as you have, Bryan.  I saw my first GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLET!  Other highlights included the NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE, MAGNOLIA and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT Warblers.  There were plenty of Chickadees, Tufted Titmice and Gold Finch (more than could be counted - tens of them).  We ran across three GREAT BLUE HERONS, a SUMMER TANAGER, two WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS and many woodpeckers.  There were many other birds as well, but I just want to second what you have said.  These opportunities are a great way to give back to such a place that has given me so much.

Chris McClarren
St. Louis South City