I birded Tower Grove Park today with my husband and mother.  As soon as we stepped foot near Gaddy, we saw a flock of very active:

Blue-headed Vireos
Brown Creepers
Tufted Titmice
Chickadees
White-breasted Nuthatch
Golden-crowned Kinglets
Ruby-Crowned Kinglets

Inside Gaddy, we ran into:

Summer Tanagers (Females)
Winter Wrens
Wood Thrush
Hermit Thrush
Oven Bird (Yeah...hadn't seen one in a while)
White-throated Sparrows
Phoebe
Pewee
Eastern Towhee (FOS)

Two Great Horned Owls were in one of their usual spots out across the field and the two  Red-headed Woodpeckers were hanging near their tree/cavity.  I didn't see their juvenile today.  Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Flickers, Red-bellied and Downy Woodpeckers were present out across the field.  Four Blue Jays were making a ruckus all over the place.

My ma and I decided to check out the Cypress trees around Jack's Pond and ran into a big flock of again of:

Blue-Headed Vireos
Golden-crowned Kinglets
Ruby-crowned Kinglets
Black-throated Green Warblers
Tennessee Warblers
Nashville Warblers

with at least two or three Brown Creepers on every tree we seemed to look at - as well as woodpeckers and nuthatches and chickadees and more.  We ran into another flock but we all tuckered out.  It was another grand day birding.

GETTING ON TV - UGGHHH!  (I didn't know this would be a hazard of birding)

Oh, and as we were walking to our cars to leave, some reporters with Channel 2 and 11 stopped us, wondering what on earth we could be doing on such an overcast cold day...ha! They were very surprised to find out...so much so they put us on the news tonight...oh, my. Neither my ma or I like to be on camera but Theresa, the reporter, was hard to say no to.  And hey, we did it for the birds.  The magic of the skies isn't just about Santa Claus once a year!  Okay, I do still like to get a stocking still at age 45, but when it comes to magic, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny move over! The birds are magicians par excellence.

HELPING MIDDLE SCHOOL KIDS

I finally was able to help the science teacher who I ran into at Gaddy (Jean Siesener) some weeks ago find the Great Horned Owls over the past weekend.  I wanted to let every know that she's involved in an amazing project that she is inviting anyone who'd like to help to get involved in.  Her (Jean Siesener's) email is:

Here's her description of what she's up to:

"I am a middle school science teacher at Ladue Middle School in St. Louis county and I am the birding coach for a competition team known as Science Olympiad.  We are given a list of birds from North America to learn (184).   We have several competitions throughout this school year to advance to the next level.  I am teaching the kids by families and we are taking about 27 birds a week.  We have to know everything from habitat, i.d., conservation status, etc...  At the moment I have 14 kids and we meet on Wednesdays from 4-5PM.  Spread the word.  If anyone is interested in helping me train these kids, feel free to give them my email here at school."

I know we have some amazing birders on this list.  I am just putting this out there in case any of you would like to be involved.  It's exciting to me. As a novice, I'd like to be in one of her classes, tee, hee.  But I hear how wonderful Bill Rowe is so I can't wait until spring.

Chris McClarren
St. Louis South City