Just returned from some soggy birding at Smithville Lake, Clay County.  Still thousands of Franklin's Gulls, many loafing on the boat dock roofs.  New birds seen were a group of Ruddy Ducks on the main body of the lake and about 80 plus dowitchers and some yellowlegs seen on a mudflat from the 240th Street bridge in the rain.

Don't even get me started on herbicides and pesticides.  Can't find the exact details at the moment, but the heaviest users of chemicals per acre are homeowners.  They are not subject to any regulation unlike agriculture, golf courses, etc.  Not that corporate farming is a good thing.  But, there are millions of pounds of toxic substances and millions of gallons of water dumped on non-native lawns per year with no benefit (inorganic fertilizer actually kills beneficial microorganisms needed for plant nutrient uptake and repels earthworms).  One of the biggest ways we can help with a myriad of problems is to go organic and grow native.  My yard is an oasis of plant and wildlife diversity.

Linda Williams
Liberty, Clay County, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/