   My reaction to the presentation by Tim Barksdale at the Fall ASM
Meeting was that the Greater Prairie Chicken is in trouble in Kansas
also.   So you can ask:  Is the Prairie Chicken about to become extinct.

   Kathleen Anderson, Columbia

Quoting Mike Doyen :

	At the annual MPF meeting yesterday in Cole Camp I listened to Max
Alleger (Grassland Coalition Coordinator) tell us that at last count
there are less than one hundred Greater Prairie Chicken left in
Missouri. Max and the Grassland Coalition are very concerned that we
might just loose this iconic Missouri bird. Of more pressing concern is
that the Greater Prairie Chicken has crossed the threshold for there
ability to reproduce and populate. I know everyone in the Grassland
Coalition is working overtime to try and find a solution. ASM has been
a supporting partner in the Grassland Coalition for some years but I am
wondering if it is enough and what more can we do. I would like to
recommend that the board consider joining the battle with all our
resources and commit ourselves and our organization to doing what ever
more we can to help save the Greater Prairie Chicken from going extinct
on our watch. In the last century Missouri lost the Red-cockaded
Woodpecker and the Brown-headed Nuthatch to habitat destruction, lets
not start this centruy off with another lost species.  This will take
personal commitment, coordination, resources and planning, we as
individual members and as an organization must do everything we can to
save the Greater Prairie Chicken from extinction in Missouri. Mike
DoyenRolla, MO.
Pablo Neruda.

Audubon Society of Missouri's Wild Bird Discussion Forum ASM Fall
Meeting: September 25-27 at Lake of the Ozarks State Park