Greetings, all.

Those of us who have been subscribers of Mobirds since its inception
have weathered many exchanges similar to the one we've been reading/
writing.

There are usually 3 interacting contributing factors to these teapot
tempests:
1.  New or fairly recent subscribers who signed on because they want
to see what others are finding so they can go find those birds.
These folks often are not posters, themselves, (but often become less
reticent eventually) and are under the misconception that the
listserv is only a rare bird alert.

2.  Bad weather/wrong season:  the "no birds out there" or "we're
stuck in here" cause for restlessness and increased crankiness.

3.  A posting that is offensive to a few members of our community.

The universal responses to these tetchy situations has been:  Every
computer has a "delete" key, use it if you are not interested in a
topic or find it to your disliking; and, "go birding!"

We are a community.  We have one very strong bond:  A love of (or
strong interest in) birds. This and one other factor keep us
together:  respect for one another.

Yes, I am a direct person.  I prefer it to hypocrisy.  No, I meant no
disrespect when I said that "in all due respect" implies no respect.
That has been my observation when seeing/hearing the phrase.

Consider:  have you ever seen it used to preface a positive,
supportive statement?  Example:  In all due respect, sir, I fully
support your position.  Or: In all due respect, sir, I believe your
proposed action is spot on!

Perhaps you have, but I haven't.  I've only heard it prefacing a
strong disagreement with a position or proposed action, and most
often with a tone that implies the original speaker is a real idiot
for believing that or wanting to do it that way.

Yes, it is a "civil" speech cliche, but it is very often used as a
thinly veiled dismissive comment.  That was my reaction.

As a community we can all benefit from hearing from all perspectives
and interest within the community.  And, even though someone
expresses a viewpoint or has a bird-related focus that is at variance
with ours, if we view it as a point of interest, a point of potential
growth, a valid point on the continuum that is the basis of society,
we all are better for it.

And it really helps to have a sense of humor, as in, "well, there
goes Edge again, what a nut!, but at least she's our nut."

"everyone but me and thee, and sometimes..."

If that is too much, remember the delete key.

Bodacious birding to y'all,

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO