Midland Empire Audubon Society (MEAS) held their 2009 "Big Sit" at Squaw Creek NWR on Sunday, October 11th.

Six MEAS member were in attendance.

Temperature held around 40 degrees and we experinced a moderate breeze throughout the day.

37 Species were recorded:

Greater White-fronted Goose
Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Merlin
American Coot
Sandhill Crane - 3
Wilson's Snipe
Mourning Dove
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
American Crow
Tree Swallow (1000's)
Barn Swallow
American Robin
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
American Goldfinch

Our Seventeen Foot Diameter Circle for the count is the Observation Deck at the main entrance to Squaw Creek. We may have to change the location to a place where there are more diversified habitats. The present location does not present us with very many woodland birds. It is a little disconcerting not to be able to tally a Northern Cardinal, Bluejay, etc. for the count!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
gcrownkinglet AT yahoo DOT com