Midland Empire Audubon Society (MEAS) held their 2009 "Big Sit" at Squaw Creek NWR on Sunday, October 11th.

Six MEAS member were in attendance.

Temperature held around 40 degrees and we experinced a moderate breeze throughout the day.

37 Species were recorded:

Greater White-fronted Goose
 Snow Goose
 Canada Goose
 Gadwall
 American Wigeon
 Mallard
 Blue-winged Teal
 Northern Shoveler
 Northern Pintail
 Green-winged Teal
 Pied-billed Grebe
 American White Pelican
 Double-crested Cormorant
 Great Blue Heron
 Turkey Vulture
 Bald Eagle
 Northern Harrier
 Cooper's Hawk
 Red-tailed Hawk
 American Kestrel
 Merlin
 American Coot
 Sandhill Crane - 3
 Wilson's Snipe
 Mourning Dove
 Red-headed Woodpecker
 Red-bellied Woodpecker
 Northern Flicker
 American Crow
 Tree Swallow (1000's)
 Barn Swallow
 American Robin
 Song Sparrow
 Lincoln's Sparrow
 White-crowned Sparrow
 Red-winged Blackbird
 American Goldfinch

Our Seventeen Foot Diameter Circle for the count is the Observation Deck at the main entrance to Squaw Creek. We may have to change the location to a place where there are more diversified habitats. The present location does not present us with very many woodland birds. It is a little disconcerting not to be able to tally a Northern Cardinal, Bluejay, etc. for the count!

Larry Lade

Saint Joseph, MO

gcrownkinglet AT yahoo DOT com