From: Laura Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: Winter h'bird topic
To: Susan Eaton <[log in to unmask]>

You're welcome to add this to the discussion:

Lanny is absolutely correct that in only ONE case, of all the people feeding
hummingbirds all over the place, has this "hypothermia" been reported. The
problem has almost definitely been exaggerated, but I personally follow a
"better safe than sorry" method. Most of my hummingbird feeders do not have
perches anyway. When my late hummingbird appeared at my feeder, each night
the temperature dropped below freezing, so I was setting out fresh, warmer
sugar water each morning anyway.

With regard to protein--at the time my individual hummingbird was coming to
my northern MInnesota feeder (in late November and early December), I
consulted with a lot of experts trying to figure out the best thing to do,
and heard as many suggestions as people I consulted. As long as temperatures
were above 20 degrees or so, I could clearly observe the hummingbird feeding
on insects in the tips of my spruce tree and lilac bush branches. I grew
more concerned by Thanksgiving when the afternoon highs were only in the
teens and the bird was spending virtually all its non-perching time at my
feeder and I was having to change the feeders as they froze up every hour.
That's when I started offering one feeder (out of many) with ground up
mealworms. This was not a scientific experiment, and I have no way of
knowing whether that was a good thing to do in reality rather than in my
informed but just gut-feeling. The hummingbird did have many other feeders
to choose from, but she chose, most of the time, to feed at the feeder with
the mealworms. But again, this could have been extremely harmful if the
temperature wasn't so cold--this or Nektar Plus would spoil very quickly in
warmer temperatures, and mealworms in particular could harbor dangerous
bacteria in their gut that would multiply rapidly in warmer conditions.

Because Nektar Plus does spoil extremely quickly, it is normally only used
by rehabbers (I was a licensed rehabber, by the way) and must be changed
every few HOURS.

Northern Minnesota is colder in November and December than Cape Girardeau,
and most of the hummingbird people who advised me were pretty emphatic about
providing protein if we could figure out a way.

Lanny is again absolutely right about how early hummingbird start their day.
Mine made her first visits to my feeder each morning about a half hour
before sunrise, while it was still twilight.

Best,

Laura

--
--
Laura Erickson

If you've found this information useful, I hope you'll consider supporting
our work on behalf of birds and other wildlife.   In addition to knowing
that you'll be making a difference for conservation, you'll receive  our
award-winning Living Bird magazine and informative BirdScope newsletter four
times a year.  We invite you to join our "force for nature."  To sign up or
watch our video about membership, visit
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/NetCommunity/membership or call us at
1-800-843-2473.

For the love, understanding, and protection of birds

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.  There
is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature--the
assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

--Rachel Carson

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/