Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:29:09 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OT - Can anyone help find this TSE quote?
To: [log in to unmask]

From "Dante (1929)":

"It is a test (a positive test, I do not assert that it is always valid negatively) that genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood"

-- Tom --

Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:13:23 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

If anyone comes up with an exact reference for this quotation, I would appreciate knowing it.  Diana's citation sounds suspiciously close to the words I had heard attributed to Eliot that brought me to consult this list in the first place.  When I asked about it, people agreed that the thought was not foreign to TSE, but that the formulation seemed apocryphal.  If there is something like it in one of the Dante essays, I would dearly desire to take a look at it.

Jerry Walsh, biblical lurker