Greetings,

While not the official spokesperson for the group, I hoped the rest of Missouri birding community (and others that watch out listserve) might be interested in knowing . . .

A new addition to Missouri birding has fledged. Bird watching interest has been building in the southeast to the point where we individuals have joined together in an interest group. We had our second meeting last night where we settled on an official unofficial name for the group - "Swamp Candle Birders of Southeast Missouri".

For those that may not know and may be wondering what a "Swamp Candle" is and why it was chosen, I'll let you research that on your own. We'll call that your "homework" for the day. I think you'll all agree that it's a great and unique name for our fledged group!

The group is based in Cape Girardeau. MDC has partnered with us to get us on our feet, and we greatly thank them! We are learning as we go. We plan on having monthly meetings along with monthly outings with guides (internal at this point). All are welcomed to join the meetings and/or outings. The more the merrier!

Two immediate announcements are:

Oct. 11:  The Big Sit - I am captaining a team at Big Oak Tree State Park, I plan on being there around 4 a.m. to ??:?? p.m.

Oct. 17:  Hawk Watch at Mingo NWR - We will walk the boardwalk beginning at 8:30 a.m. (some birders possibly arriving earlier) for woodland and migrating passerines, then head up to the Monopoly Marsh Overlook about 10:30 a.m. to watch for raptors and other goodies, leaving between 2 and 4 pm depending on interest and birds being seen. (I still need to tie in with Mingo NWR to verify our group activity and details.)

Feel free to drop in at either or both events for a visit and meet some of us southeast birders so we can further network our birding knowledge, skills and love for birds!

We'll update you all as we develop further.

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.