Good Morning!
Squeezed a couple hours of birding at Cooley Lake Conservation Area before work today (9-23-09). Nice bunch of migrants were working the wooded areas and hedges along the east/northeast side of the oxbow. Highlights:
N. Parula-3
Tennessee Warbler-1
Nashville Warbler-3
Black-Throated Green Warbler-2
Black and White Warbler-1
American Redstart-2
Bay Breasted Warbler-1
Mourning Warbler-2
Common Yellowthroat-12+
Veery-1
Swainson's Thrush-5+
Common Moorhen-2 (saw 1 sneaking through the sedge, while another vocalized)
6 species of woodpecker, including 1 very affable Pileated Woodpecker.
Used to collect ragweed pollen as a teenager (I was young and needed the money...). As a birder, I've learned to focus on ragweed stands during fall migration! Mourning Warblers, Yellowthroats, Buntings, etc. LOVE this stuff. From the overlook at the end of the gravel road, walk the service road about 3/4 mile. There is a patch of ragweed at the edge of the woods here that always seems to hold birds during fall migration. Both Mourning Warblers were seen here this morning, along with at least 8 Common Yellowthroats of different plumages and a couple of Nashville Warblers. Thrashers, Cardinals, Chickadees, and a female Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (I hope!) were working this area, also. Nice!
Good Birding,
Doug Willis
Liberty, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/