We had a persimmon tree in our back yard at the house where I grew up as a kid.  My dad loved persimmon pies, and my mother hated to make them.  I never acquired a taste for them, and my mouth still puckers thinking about them.  I know, you are supposed to just eat the ripe ones.  See you this weekend.  Charley Burwick

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Dianne & Steve Kinder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I also have noticed fewer birds coming to the feeders in my yard the last couple of weeks. Still have hummingbirds coming though, and several Mourning Doves and Eurasion-collared Doves as usual.

 I enjoyed the first two ripe Persimmons today. I watched a pair of American Redstarts flitting around while I was under the Persimmon Tree. Nice way to celebrate the start of the Fall Season!

Later,
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.
 [log in to unmask]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]

--- On Tue, 9/22/09, J C Allen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: J C Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Training ground, backyard, St. Louis County
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 8:56 AM

  Just coming to understand the seasons in bird life.  This morning, while putting out feed, noticed that some of the sunflower seeds shaken out of feeder by squirrel were not being "cleaned up" in the night. The raccoons have gone.  And there are fewer squirrels and less food in general is being consumed.  "My" birds are mostly not migrants.
     So, I am thinking as you all have been writing about the berries and stuff that are plentiful in fall, that my yard has been a training ground for the young.  I've had young raccoons, young woodchucks, young birds all summer. And if I look at pics of all the cooper's hawks who have been observed in my yard, they were all young and for the most part not really catching prey. So I have easy food, although maybe not the best food.  I'm feeling a bit like an empty nester, here.  All in the cycle of life, I guess.

 Jane Allen
 St. Louis County