Many of the berries birds are eating right now are the best "flight fuel" available. I worked with a research associate at the University of RI some years ago on a study that included Wood Thrush, and we found them eating mainly spicebush berries at this time of year. We cooperated with a food scientist on analyzing the content of these berries, and found them to be on par with olives in terms of fat content, and the type of fat. These fats are rich in "short-chain" fatty acids, which are readily mobilized for energy during migration.

The upshot is, plant more native berries! Another good one this time of year (besides Virginia Creeper and spicebush) is Carolina buckthorn (avoid Common Buckthorn--an invasive exotic). The buckthorn in my front yard is currently being stripped by a mixed group of robins, catbirds, and the local mockingbird.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">June
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 8:08 PM
Subject: birds and berries

Yesterday at Bunch Hollow CA (Carroll County) I watched Red-eyed Vireos gobbling down Virginia Creeper berries .  I came home and looked for information about REVI's diet and found them on most lists of birds that like those berries.  In fact they are popular with at least 35 North American birds, according to some sources.  I think I'll consider letting a VC vine grow into one of my large yard trees.  In the wooded area behind my house the wild grapes are popular, too, especially with Cardinals and Catbirds, and today a flock of Cedar Waxwings seemed to be eating them.

June Newman
Carroll County