Greetings,

I did a search on the in the internet myself and actually found other items linked to the name, such as a classic rock band with the same name, mention of the name in a poem, and an endangered plant also called swamp candle. I can assure you we have no affiliation to the classic rock band, there's no hidden meaning in our name or group, and we were not making reference to the plant also known as Earth Loosestrife not that this would be a bad thing. It's a really cool plant, but we're mainly about the birds. I'm sure we'll learn flora and fauna as we're out in the field!

In reality, we chose the name because it once was used when referring to the Prothonotary Warbler.

We could potentially get more hits when people search the internet for Swamp Candle.

As Bill Eddleman brought up, the CBC events taking place this December here in Southeast Missouri and Southwest Illinois were discussed. My apologies for not bringing them up.

I don't have all the notes and dates, but below is what I do have:

Oct. 3 - Bluebird Conference at the Osage Center in Cape Girardeau
http://www.semoevents.com/cape-girardeau-mo/events/show/88326785-2009-missouri-bluebird-conference

Oct. 11 - Big Sit event (nationwide); as previously mentioned a team will be present at Big Oak Tree State Park from about 4 a.m. to dark

Oct. 17 - Mingo Hawk Watch (as previously mentioned), arrive early at the boardwalk at 8:30 a.m. or at the Monopoly Marsh overlook at around 10:30 a.m. - ~4 p.m.

Oct. 21 - Next month's Swamp Candle Birder's meeting; 6:30 pm at the Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center

Nov. 8 - Tower Rock outing; meet and leave from the Cape CNC at 12:30 p.m.

Nov. 18 - Swamp Candle Birder's Nov. meeting; 6:30 p.m. at the Cape CNC

Nov. 22 - Maple Hollow outing; location on the premises of Cape CNC. I don't have the time of the event.

Dec. 16 - Swamp Candle Birder's Dec. meeting: 6:30 p.m. at the Cape CNC

Dec. 17 & 19 - CBC (Bill Eddleman); Link to details posted on ASM link below:
http://www.mobirds.org/CBC/CBCSchedule.asp

Jan. 24 - Ducks & Geese outing; Potential sites are Mingo NWR or Otter Slough CA.

Should these dates, times, and/or locations change, we will try to inform the list in a timely manner.

Thank you all for the warm reception to our new group!

Great Migrant Birding!

Chris Barrigar
Bloomfield, MO
Stoddard Co.

Lauren found her dream laptop. Find the PC thatís right for you.