The Smithville Lake Pelagic was cancelled yesterday due to the
weather, but 5 people showed up for a couple hours of birding by car
in the rain (1:45 - 4:00 pm).

The lake was very quiet with the exception of one BLACK TERN and a few
meandering RING-BILLED GULLS.

 From the boat ramp at Sail Boat Cove, we spotted several DOUBLE-
CRESTED CORMORANTS.

We walked part of the paved trail at the Smoke N Davey trailhead and
observed several RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, a SUMMER TANAGER, YELLOW-
BILLED CUCKOO, EASTERN PEWEES, RED-EYED VIREOS and the other customary
woodland fare. No warblers for us on this short walk in a steady rain.

At Little Platte Marina, one vehicle observed 1 (?) SEMIPALMATED
PLOVER in boat ramp parking lot. At the same time, the folks in my
vehicle spotted 2 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS fraternizing with KILLDEER
in the marina parking lot. About 100 or so RING-BILLED GULLS were
loafing on the roof of one of the boat slips, along with about 5
FRANKLIN'S GULLS and 1 adult CASPIAN TERN.

I have rescheduled the 5th Annual Smithville Lake Pelagic for next
Monday, September 28. We'll meet at 1:30 at Camp Branch Marina, and
the boats will depart at 2 p.m., to return at 6 p.m. I am still
confirming the original participants for this rescheduled date, but if
you are interested I am also maintaining a waiting list. Please email
me at [log in to unmask] to be included on the waiting list.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)