It's that time of year again - Sora Time at Swan Lake! Must be about peak time for them like I expected, they were thick in many places. I kept a running count as I went around and ended up with 125, mostly heard. This is actually about 100 less than my high count several years ago.  I tried to count them by location heard as a couple of Sora calling at the same time can easily sound like half a dozen. I'm sure there were many more I did not detect. They are pretty vocal in the Fall and may respond to about any loud noise.
Some of the other birds at the reuge today;

White Pelican - 200+
Great Egret - 65+
Blue-winged Teal - 100's , plus other brown fall Ducks
 10 species of Shorebirds, nothing unusual
Cooper's Hawk - 2 at same place
Bald Eagle - 1 adult near nest
Black Tern - a few
Great Horned Owl - out early at 5:30 pm
 Marsh Wren - 5
Red-headed Woodpecker - noisy flocks here too
Savannah Sparrow - 2
Red-winged Blackbirds - big numbers coming in to roost in Swan lake Pool at dusk
 other usual suspects.

Hopefully will be other rails coming in before long - and will soon be Swallow Time and Sparrow Time!

later,
 Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.