From: Lawrence Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Barn Owls in sw MO.
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, September 14, 2009, 3:49 AM

Tony and Mobirders -
I enjoyed your post about placing Barn Owl boxes up in barns by Golden City, MO.
Good job!  Besides Barn Owls taking a hit from cats and raccoons they also are prey
items for Great Horned Owls according to the literature and MDC records.

Great Horned Owls have apparently declined in numbers here in the Joplin area per
personal observation and per Joplin CBC data.  In the last six Joplin CBC's we recorded
a total of 9 Great Horned Owls.  In the six CBC's prior to that we recorded 36 (!).

Anecdotal only but it could be Barn Owls may be increasing here in the last few years partly
because Great Horned Owls may have decreased in numbers.

Tony and his birding friends may have helped the Barn Owl too.

Good birding,  Larry H.  Joplin, Jasper County, MO.  [log in to unmask]" target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]