--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Doug Willis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Doug Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: BARN OWL found Dead in Central Mo...
To: "Jonathan B. Pons" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 4:36 PM

Jonathan (and others):
I hope there is plenty of room in your "bird heaven." Barn Owls suffer an incredibly high mortality due to automobiles. I read somewhere that Barn Owls are prone to this because of their hunting style (low to the ground in open country) and they also become so fixated on their prey that they haven't learned to get out of the way of cars. Last year I saw my only Barn Owl of "08 in an abandoned barn in the bootheel of MO. That same day, I saw THREE dead Barn Owls on various county roads in Stoddard and New Madrid counties.
LOOK OUT, birdies!!
Doug Willis
Liberty, MO