My first experience with an owl struck by vehicle was when working as
a ranger on the Current River.  I had the challenging duty to pick up
an injured, irate Barred Owl (wrapped it in the uniform jacket), as
the first step to sending it (with paperwork) to rehab.

I've seen many owls dead on the road since.  Most have been Barred;
but a few have been Eastern Screech.

Of course, we've all seen hawks, especially in winter, lured to the
verges and medians of interstates, often with less than optimal
results for the birds.

Other bird families are prone to auto/truck mishaps, especially in
winter when flocks gather at roadsides in frozen landscapes.

I watched a Red-headed Woodpecker drop off a utility pole and fly
directly into a birder's car passing slowly on the road.

The most startling day of seeing multiple struck birds was in
northern Mississippi in early summer.  The victims were Northern
Cardinals (all males).  There were at least 5 dead along a 5 mile
stretch, and while driving that stretch, at least a dozen swooped in
front of the car at grill level, going across the road.

Almost makes me want to rethink birding by car...well, almost.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO