CALL FOR PAPERS
BEYOND CITIZENSHIP: FEMINISM AND THE TRANSFORMATION OF BELONGING
An international, interdisciplinary conference
30 June - 2 July 2010
Birkbeck, University of London

Speakers
Sara Ahmed
Davina Cooper
Antke Engel
Katherine Gibson
Julie Graham (a.k.a J.K. Gibson-Graham)
Rebecca Gomperts
Ranjana Khanna
Gail Lewis
Lynne Segal
Margrit Shildrick
Birte Siim
Gloria Wekker
Anna Yeatman

The language of citizenship has, in recent years, been mobilized by
feminists to articulate a wide range of claims and demands. The
notions of economic, political, social, cultural, sexual/ bodily, and
intimate citizenship, for example, have all been developed and
explored in terms of their normative potential and their actual
realization. In Europe, in particular, there has been a strong steer
from research funders and policy makers towards research agendas
which address the question of citizenship in the context of
increasingly diverse and multicultural societies.

But, can the concept of citizenship encompass the transformations
that feminist politics seek? What are the restrictions and exclusions
of contemporary forms and practices of citizenship? How does the
concept of citizenship deal with power, inequality, and difference?
What are the problems with framing our desires and visions for the
future in terms of citizenship in a globalizing world of migration,
mobility, armed conflict, economic crisis and climate change? Does
the concept of citizenship restrict our imaginations and limit our
horizons within nation-state formations? Can it ever really grasp the
complexity of our real and longed-for attachments to communities,
networks, friends and loved ones? Is it able to embrace the politics
of embodiment and of our relationships with the non-human world? How
have feminists historically and cross-culturally imagined and
prefigured a world beyond citizenship? Is a feminist, queer or global
citizenship thinkable, or should we find a new language for new forms
of belonging?

We invite proposals for papers that address these questions and the
broad theme of the conference. We particularly welcome papers which
explore the interface between the feminist academy and feminist
activism, and which are interdisciplinary and innovative in method
and approach.

Individual paper proposals (max. 200 words) or proposals for panels
of three or four related papers (max. 300 words) should be submitted
by 1st December 2009 to:
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

The conference will take place in central London. A limited number of
bursaries will be available.

For further information about the conference, visit:
<http://www.bbk.ac.uk/bisr/beyondcitizenship/>

Beyond Citizenship: Feminism and the Transformation of Belonging is
organised by FEMCIT, an EU FP6 integrated research project on
"Gendered citizenship in multicultural Europe: the impact of
contemporary women's movements", in collaboration with the Birkbeck
Institute for Social Research, at Birkbeck, University of London,
Rokkansenteret, at the University of Bergen, and is sponsored by the
Norwegian Research Council.

Organizing Committee
Sasha Roseneil, Isabel Crowhurst, Ana Cristina Santos and Mariya Stoilova