On the way from KC home today I took a few minutes to drive the road
into Cooley Lake (Clay County, Hwy 210).  There is almost no open
water, just a solid stand of American Lotus.  I saw no wading birds,
not even a Great Blue Heron.  I almost certainly heard a Least
Bittern, but did not see it and didn't have time to walk the edges to
try to flush some.  There were lots of Cardinals and Indigo Buntings,
but heard just one INBU singing.   The trees along the north side of
the road at the west end have all been dozed.

June Newman
Carrollton, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/