From: Bob Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fountain Grove; Swan Lake 8/15
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 7:11 PM

Gary Johnson, Paul Habiger and I visited Fountain Grove CA and Swan Lake NWR today. On the way home we went by Sunshine Lake and Cooley Lake CA.

Birding was tough --   singing has tapered way off -- but we ended the day with 71 species. Gary did hear several sedge Wrens singing at Fountain Grove. We did not get the Black-bellied Whistling Ducks at Fountain Grove. However, we could not figure out how to get in to view Stinson Marsh. They may well be there. Caspian Tern and an imm. Bald Eagle were probably our best birds there.

A Swan Lake, the shorebirds were quite distant, as expected. We were able to call one breeding plumaged Black-bellied Plover and a few others, such as Spotted Sandpiper, Solitary Sandpiper, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpiper. However, some of the others were too far to call.

We did see and hear a Sedge Wren. Except for a lone ault Blue Goose, Silver Lake was a disappointment. The road to the east entrance (where I usually see roosting terns) was closed.

We picked up Stilt Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper and Killdeer in a puddle on the way home. We also drove by Sunshine Lake and Cooley Lake. Sunshine yielded an adult Bald Eagle and a Cooper's Hawk. Cooley yielded a flying Hooded Merganser, a swimming Pied-billed Grebe and a Green Heron.

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO
[log in to unmask]" target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]