Well, actually this would depend in part on what monies were used to purchase a given area. If Federal Aid to Wildlife Restoration money were used in whole or part to purchase land (this is money collected from a federal program that collects taxes on sporting arms and ammunition), then excessive restrictions on hunting will negate the federal contribution of money, and the state has to pay it back. I'm not sure, however, what money was used to purchase Otter Slough. I might also add that repeated attempts to initiate a similar "non-consumptive wildlife" tax on optics and other wildlife watcher items has failed repeatedly, and has been actively opposed by some groups such as hikers, backpackers, etc. (Groups that I am actively a part of, too.).

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dave Faintich
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:04 AM
  Subject: Re: Duck Stamps

  Bob, Chris & MO-Birders -

  Just to follow this sensible thread one more step - and I understand why they want the birds to have time for less stress and to feed.  Soooo, why not let hunters hunt Mon-Wed-Fri for 1/2 day, then let only birders and non-hunters in for 1/2 day on Tues-Thurs-Sat (or some other suitable configuration that satisfies both parties).  Let everyone SHARE our natural wetlands.

  Remember, birders and non-hunters pay the 1/8 cent conservation sales taxes in MO, just like hunters do!!   Equal opportunity for all!!

  ...Dave Faintich

  Olivette, MO
  http://david.faintich.com/

  "The truth of the matter is, the birds could very well live without us, but many - perhaps all - of us would find life incomplete, indeed almost intolerable without the birds" ~~ Roger Tory Peterson