I certainly agree that anyone who hunts or fishes should obtain the appropriate license. But I don't do either myself, and I really don't see how it's constructive for me to buy a license I have no intention of using. Yes, it would make cash available for habitat, but I'd prefer to contribute in a way that doesn't also generate false data about what I intend to do on MDC and/or NWR land. Seems to me that if enough non-hunters were to buy hunting licenses (and it would take quite a few to have a noticeable effect on the budget), measures would be taken to meet the apparent increase in demand. Perhaps extended seasons, more area off limits during those seasons, more acreage planted to maximize numbers of target species, and fewer resources available to manage for species that aren't hunted.

And perhaps not, but should even one of those results come to pass, it would diminish my ability to enjoy MDC and NWR land. So I'm all for supporting conservation, and for cooperation between hunters, fishermen, birders, and all lovers and users of the outdoors. But falsely representing myself just doesn't seem the right way to do it.

Dave Scheu

St. Louis, MO

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doug Willis
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 5:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dorothy and Toto

Mobirders:

Yes, we are VERY lucky to have the Missouri Department of Conservation public lands and programs. CACHE is fine, but why not take it a step further and buy a hunting/fishing license and truly support MDC?! Also, documenting the hypothetical bird in question for the Missouri Bird Records Committee would add to the ornithological record in an even more substantial way. Want to support Big Muddy NWR, Mingo NWR, Squaw Creek NWR and Swan Lake NWR? Buy a duck stamp and join the rest of us in assuring these treasures will be here for future generations.

Respectfully,

Doug Willis

Liberty, MO