I was thinking about going back to Swan Lake NWR, Chariton Co. today anyway, but after Peter's post from yesterday I had to go. I took the plunge and walked/waded out to the middle of Swan Lake pool to get closer to all the 100's of shorebirds. I saw most all the ones Peter K. saw, though I never found the Willet or saw any that looked like a Sanderling. I did find some new ones and ended up with 17 species -

Black-bellied Plover - 1
Semi-palmated Plover - 15
PIPING PLOVER - 1
 Killdeer - many
Greater Yellowlegs - many
Lesser Yellowlegs - not as many
Solitary Sandpiper - several
Spotted Sandpiper - many along Silver Lake
Upland Sandpiper - 1
RUDDY TURNSTONE -10
Semi-palm Sandpiper - few
 Least Sandpiper - many
Baird's Sandpiper - few
Pectoral Sandpiper - most numerous
Stilt Sandpiper - few
Short-billed Dowitcher - very few
Wilson's Snipe - 1 FOS for me
Maybe DW should check it out and see what Zooties he might find here ??

 I got quick look at a Virginia Rail as it scurried for cover out there. Saw the immature Franklin's Gull Peter reported, as well as a few Ring-billed Gulls, few Forester's Terns, and many Black Tern's in various stages of plumage. 300+ Great Egrets, 1 Snowy Egret, and 5 all white imm Little Blue Herons. Quite a few Mallards and flock of 17 and another flock of about 40 Blue-winged Teal that have come in. Wood Ducks were mostly in other parts of the refuge. Had Sedge Wren when I walked out in the dryer part of the marsh and Marsh Wrens farther out where it was wetter. More of both in other places too. Small flocks of Bobolinks were flying around and sometimes landing in the vegetation around me - gotta love those buffy-golden Fall BOBOs!
  Flushed a covey of about 15 full-sized Bobwhites near the Big Sit! area at the edge of the pool. An adult Bald Eagle was perched nearby.
  Several Grasshopper Sparrows were in and along the road again to South Pool, along with Lark Sparrows, Horned Larks, and Eastern Meadowlarks. Big hatch of insects - looked like Mayflies - along west side of Silver Lake was causing a feeding frenzy of Swallows and Black Terns over the road. When I walked into the vegetation along there the insects came up and swarmed all over me! Weird feeling. More Black Terns were swirling up high over NE part of the lake. Unusual sight of a Red-headed Woodpecker perched/hanging on a utilty wire just off the refuge. Fun Day!

 Steve Kinder
 Chillicothe, Livingston Co.
 [log in to unmask]" target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]