Sorry to bother the entire list, but can some one help me with a problem?  I have numerous finches at my feeder in the south part of the City that I believe are house finches.  My brother lives just a few blocks away and thinks his are purple finches.  The males I see are heavily streaked, darkish brown stripes on the sides, but do seem to show more red in the rump area than is shown in Sibley's.  Are both Purple and House finches prefvalent in South St. Louis?  Is one more likely?  Sorry for the naievete of the question, but we are trying to learn and I thought one of the "experts" out there might be able to help.  Cheers!
Pat Maloney