The St. Louis Audubon Society (SLAS) Carlyle Pelagic Birding Trip is rapidly approaching. This year’s trip will be held on Saturday September 19.  Details for the trip follow.  The boat ride is by reservation only and the cost is $25 per person.  The morning birding on land is open to all at no cost.  In recent years SLAS “pelagic trip” sightings include Red Phalarope (twice), Parasitic Jaeger (once) and the beautiful and graceful Sabine’s Gull (almost every time)!

The trip coincides with the peak of landbird migration, so lots of warblers and vireos etc. will be seen.  We will very likely top 100 species for the day.

Reservations are made by e-mail to [log in to unmask].  Reservations are confirmed by sending your check.  Make checks payable to Joe Eades and send them to:

Joe Eades

517 Willow Lane

Kirkwood, MO  63122

Space is limited, so make your reservations early.

The meeting place is the McDonald's in Carlyle near the intersection of highway 50 and highway 127.  The meeting time is 6:30 am.  It may take you 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there.  DIRECTIONS:  Take I-64 east across the Poplar St. Bridge.  Exit I-64 at Hwy 50 east toward Carlyle.  Follow Hwy 50 to Hwy 127 and turn left at the junction.  Turn right and meet at the McDonald’s parking lot.  Make sure you find the right group of birders, as IOS (Illinois Ornithological Society) is doing their pelagic trip the same day.

There is a Super 8 and a Microtel in the immediate vicinity if you plan to stay overnight the night before.  Link to hotel websites: http://carlylelake.com/

It will take us a few minutes to get organized and begin our birding day, but we will be leaving the McDonald's no later than 6:45 am.  We will probably start at the West Access boat ramp to scan the gulls resting on the beach.  Then, we will go to Hazlet State Park and hike the Cherokee Trail and surrounding area from about 7:30 am until 10:30 am.  Wear comfortable clothes and walking shoes.  Muddiness is at least a possibility.  Bring insect repellent if you so desire.

Anyone who is planning on doing the BOAT RIDE ONLY must meet at the West Access Marina at 10:30 am.  The West Access Marina is reached from the McDonald's by turning right out of the parking lot and turning right again at the T intersection.  Then turn left and veer slightly left to the marina/harbor area.  Facing the lake from the west side, the marina is right next to and to the left of the boat ramp.  It should be easy to spot because of the tall-masted sailboats.

I would appreciate it if you let me know if your plans include the boat ride only.  This will help me know how many to expect for the morning bird walk.  Anyone who has FRS radios should bring them, as that will help us communicate the location of birds among our 4 boats.

Please bring a GIANT bag of popcorn if you can.  This really helps bring the gulls in for close looks!  We will go through LOTS!  Old bread is good for chumming too, but the popcorn works best.

Some extraordinarily nice people even bring snacks to share with their boat-mates!

I will send out an e-mail to all everyone with a confirmed reservation to allow communication about car-pooling.  The “Lakewatch” from the Hazlet Pavilion in the late afternoon can be very productive, plus you might hear some good birding stories!  Anticipate a full day of birding and discuss when you would like to call it a day with potential ride-sharers ahead of time.  Other than that, car-pooling arrangements will be left up to individuals.

Don't forget water and sunscreen and/or a hat.

See you there!

Trip Leader

Joe Eades

Posted for Joe Eades by Pat Lueders, SLAS Trip Coordinator