The St.  Louis Audubon Society (SLAS) Carlyle Pelagic Birding Trip is
rapidly  approaching. This year’s trip will be held on Saturday September 19.
Details for the trip follow.  The boat ride is by reservation only and the
cost is $25 per person.  The morning birding on land is open to all at no
cost.  In recent years SLAS “pelagic trip” sightings include Red Phalarope
(twice), Parasitic Jaeger (once) and the beautiful and graceful Sabine’s Gull
 (almost every time)!
The trip coincides with the peak  of landbird migration, so lots of
warblers and vireos etc. will be seen.   We will very likely top 100 species for
the day.
Reservations are made by e-mail  to [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask]) .  Reservations  are confirmed by sending your
check.  Make checks payable to Joe Eades and  send them to:
Joe Eades
517 Willow Lane
Kirkwood, MO  63122
Space is limited, so make your  reservations early.
The meeting place is the  McDonald's in Carlyle near the intersection of
highway 50 and highway 127.   The meeting time is 6:30 am.  It may take you 1
hour and 15 minutes to get  there.  DIRECTIONS:  Take I-64 east across the
Poplar St. Bridge.  Exit I-64 at Hwy 50 east  toward Carlyle.  Follow Hwy 50
to Hwy 127 and turn left at the  junction.  Turn right and meet at the
McDonald’s parking  lot.  Make  sure you find the right group of birders, as IOS
(Illinois Ornithological  Society) is doing their pelagic trip the same day.
There is a Super 8 and a  Microtel in the immediate vicinity if you plan to
stay overnight the night  before.  Link to hotel websites:
_http://carlylelake.com/_ (http://carlylelake.com/)
It will take us a few minutes to  get organized and begin our birding day,
but we will be leaving the McDonald's  no later than 6:45 am.  We will
probably start at the West Access boat ramp  to scan the gulls resting on the
beach.  Then, we will go to Hazlet State  Park and hike the Cherokee Trail and
surrounding area from about 7:30 am until  10:30 am.  Wear comfortable
clothes and walking shoes.  Muddiness is  at least a possibility.  Bring insect
repellent if you so  desire.
Anyone who is planning on doing  the BOAT RIDE ONLY must meet at the West
Access Marina at 10:30 am.  The  West Access Marina is reached from the
McDonald's by turning right out of the  parking lot and turning right again at
the T intersection.  Then turn left  and veer slightly left to the
marina/harbor area.  Facing the lake from the  west side, the marina is right next to
and to the left of the boat ramp.   It should be easy to spot because of the
tall-masted  sailboats.
I would appreciate it if you let  me know if your plans include the boat
ride only.  This will help me know  how many to expect for the morning bird
walk.  Anyone who has FRS radios  should bring them, as that will help us
communicate the location of birds among  our 4 boats.
Please bring a GIANT bag of  popcorn if you can.  This really helps bring
the gulls in for close  looks!  We will go through LOTS!  Old bread is good
for chumming too,  but the popcorn works best.
Some extraordinarily nice people  even bring snacks to share with their
boat-mates!
I will send out an e-mail to all  everyone with a confirmed reservation to
allow communication about  car-pooling.  The “Lakewatch” from the Hazlet
Pavilion in the late  afternoon can be very productive, plus you might hear
some good birding  stories!  Anticipate a full day of birding and discuss when
you would like  to call it a day with potential ride-sharers ahead of time.
 Other than  that, car-pooling arrangements will be left up to individuals.

Don't forget water and sunscreen  and/or a hat.
Please let me know if you have  any questions.
See you there!
Trip Leader
Joe Eades
Posted for Joe Eades by Pat Lueders, SLAS Trip  Coordinator