Around noon Wednesday, I checked the fish ponds and surroundings in NE Forest Park.
There was an extraordinary view of an adult Black-crowned Night Heron staring down at me
with its enormous bulging red-irised eyes from one of the large Bald Cypresses.  There was a juvenile night heron hunting near the bank by some loafing Wood Ducks that had the flat head and fine streaks of a Yellow-crowned, but it was in the shadows and I couldn't be certain of the I.D.  I saw no adult YC in the area today.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County