From: John and Nancy Solodar <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Turnstones,Sanderlings NO
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 11:49 AM

I took an out-of-state birder up to Winfield to see if he could add the Turnstones and Sanderling to his Missouri list.  We were at Sandy Slough from about 8:50 – 10 AM with no luck at all after scouring the area above and below the bridge to Lock & Dam 25 very thoroughly including a walk down the Eagle Trail to better access the slough.  We also went up Sandy Slough Rd as far as possible with no luck.   Overall we saw 150 –200 Killdeer, 50-75 Least Sandpipers mixed with a few Semi-Palmated Sandpipers, 40 Pectoral Sandpipers, and a few Spotted Sandpipers.   Most of these were upstream from the bridge at a flat green area in the slough.  There was one Semi-Palmated Plover at the top of the slough as well.

The Keeteman Rd sod farms had nothing to offer but a few more Killdeer.

John Solodar
University City
St. Louis County, MO